This is a closer picture than I normally would take but the kids and I ate some before it dawned on me to take the picture.
Zucchini bake has been a faithful staple in our family’s food rotation. It has given us a lot of comfort on the hard days in this whole food journey. Depending on our family’s current IGg test results or if my husband or I decided to do a detox with our health care providers help. This recipe has been able to be adjusted to meet all those heavy requirements. For example, we just recently added tomatoes back in because they had been on my IGg test result before.
Fresh or Canned is there really a difference?
We tried canned tomatoes at first but they made my mouth feel weird. I am not an expert or a scientist but for some reason, I feel that the citric acid they use in canned foods in combination with the tomatoes chemistry does not agree with me. But fresh tomatoes I don’t have that problem with.
- 4 to 5 Zucchini- sliced and quartered *
- 1-2 Summer squash sliced and quartered
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 to 6 fresh Campari tomatoes (not canned) see blog post above why
- 1 tsp Oregano - can add more or less to taste. ( Basil can be used as a substitute)
- Sea Salt - to taste*
- 1½ Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 clove of Garlic - Chopped - can omit
- Sheep Cheese or Baba Ganosh *
- Put all above ingredients except the topping section the into a large glass bowl.
- Toss to combine.
- Transfer to a 9x13 glass casserole dish.
- Bake in an electric oven for 30 min at 375 or in a Convection oven for 35 to 40 min on 350
- Once removed from the oven you can choose your topping.
- Sheep cheese- enough to cover the top
- Dairy-free option you can cover the top with Baba Ganoush- see below
Tonight I even had the idea to shredded the zucchini like the cheese, so my son couldn't pick it out as easily since he really enjoys the tomatoes. Since the addition of the tomatoes, he now eats more of it. Play around with it and let me know any modifications you make to this recipe so I can try them too!
- Slice the eggplant into 1 inch thick rounds- so they look like a circle.
- Put the 2tbls of Avo oil in a small dish
- Lay eggplant rounds down on a baking sheet and brush them lightly with Avo oil and sprinkle with a little sea salt.
- Broil the rounds for 5 to 10 min a side- keep an eye on this step.Flip them over and repeat step 2 and 3.
- After both sides are softened let them cool enough for you to handle them somewhat.
- Once cooled peel off the skin. You could leave it on, but I think it messes with the overall texture.
- Cut the eggplant enough to fit into your food processor -we use a Vitamix for large batches and this food processorfor smaller batches.
- Add garlic
- Blend- Add oil slowly if you are looking for a particular texture. You may need to add more than what is left of your brushing bowl. I usually add 1 tsp at a time over the recommended amount if it says to taste or preference with oil.
Another fun tip I use Baba Ganoush instead of Cream of Mushroom soup. Even in Green Bean Cassorle.